Welcome to The Ne Timeas Nine. In these series, we’ll spotlight members of the NTRG team by asking them nine questions about food, work, life, and everything in between!
Kaitlyn Kelly, Sous Chef of Flour+Water
1. As a sous chef of one Ne Timeas restaurants, flour+water. What is one of your fondest memory working here? The camaraderie the kitchen has is really incredible., and my fondest memory has to do with just that. The kitchen ringing in the new year while singing ‘blister in the sun’ together as we served a full dining room.
2. When did you know you wanted to be a chef? When I cooked a Thanksgiving feast for 15 of my closest friends in high school.
3. What is a knife you cannot live without? My rosewood handle Damascus Togiharu petty knife.
4. What do you make for yourself to eat at home? Mostly toast, but when I really go for it I love making pozolé! It’s warm and comforting.
5. Happiest food moment? Touring the Stone Barns Farm with Dan Barber and having him feed me snap peas fresh from their vines. A dream come true!
6. What was your first memory of cooking and what did you cook? My mother is an incredible cook and made dinner every night despite being a single mom and working a ton. I remember the first skill she passed on to me was properly cooking mushrooms, though the mushrooms usually never made it to the table.
7. What is one ingredient you cannot cook without? Butter!
8. Tell us something that would surprise people about you. Before becoming a chef I wanted to be a campaign manager and so I got myself a degree in political science.
9. What is the worst job you have ever had? My first job was maintaining and cleaning bathrooms at a very busy beach. It was terrible and gross!