Welcome to The Ne Timeas Nine. In these series, we’ll spotlight members of the NTRG team by asking them nine questions about food, work, life, and everything in between!
Colin Kilroy, General Manager of Central Kitchen
1. As a new member and General Manager of one Ne Timeas restaurants, Central Kitchen. What are you most looking forward to? I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning as much as possible. Central Kitchen is an outstanding restaurant, the food is exceptional and the space is beautiful, I’m stoked to be here as a member of the team.
2. Rumor has it you were once a grade school teacher! Do you have any interesting stories that you can tell from that experience? I have a lot of wonderful memories from those years and plenty of funny stories. Field trips always stressed me out a bit…. being in charge of 25-30 7 year olds in a park or museum is like herding turkeys. We once had a kid literally kidnap a penguin from the aquarium… Not the stuffed kind, but the real kind! He brought it home in his backpack and put it in his parents’ bathtub. There was some explaining to do…
3. What is the strangest thing that has ever happened to you at work? Ummmm…. That’s a pretty loaded question for someone that works in the restaurant/bar industry and I’d like to keep it PG. I plead the 5th.
4. What brought you to San Francisco? I’m originally from Petaluma, CA but spent about 10 years in San Diego… I alway knew that I wanted to move back to San Francisco, so I made the jump 5 years ago back up to the Bay. Plus, my brother and sister in law are in the area and I wanted to be closer to them as well as my niece and nephew. San Francisco has always been home in a way.
5. Hidden talent not related to food? Fire Dancing!!!
6. Happiest food moment? A California burrito from ‘La Playa Taco Shop’ in Mission Beach, San Diego.
7. Favorite ice cream as a child? Strawberry…. Still is.
8. What is your go-to dive bar/restaurant in the city? Tataki South Sushi around the corner from my house… I wouldn’t call it a dive at all but I go there all the time. It’s great sushi and a great value. Plus, the staff is super friendly and welcoming. I could eat sushi every day and be pretty content.
9. What is the worst job you have ever had? I’ve had a few…. Probably the 3 days I worked at Mrs. Fields Cookies (I was in charge of pushing m&m’s into pre formed cookie dough.) It was pretty mind numbing and my boss was insane. Day 3, I was outta there!