Welcome to The Ne Timeas Nine. In these series, we’ll spotlight members of the NTRG team by asking them nine questions about food, work, life, and everything in between!
Esteban Beas, Sous Chef of Central Kitchen
1. As a sous chef of one Ne Timeas restaurants, Central Kitchen. What is one of your fondest memory working here? I would have to say my fondest memory was The Bon Vivant’s event Swing &Swine. It was a great event because I was able to work with Chef Tom McNaughton and Tony Ramos and it was a few months into me working at the restaurant. It gave me a great opportunity to see chef Tom work the crowds outside of the restaurant.
2. If you weren’t a chef, what would you be? I wanted to study psychiatry, but realized there wasn’t much creativity output there. For me, I believe it is important to do something that includes arts and traveling, so for now I’ll stick with food.
3. Current food trend that needs to go? The most outdated one.
4. The world is ending, what’s the restaurant you’ll want to dine at? Topolobampo in Chicago.
5. Who taught you to cook? Grandmother, television, myself, Le Cordon Bleu and a slew of bad ass chefs that have been a part of my culinary journey.
6. Happiest food moment? The first time I ate something while being stoned, it was pretty epic.
7. What’s your go-to dessert? Flan or something I know how to make. Not really a dessert kind of guy
8. What brought you to San Francisco? A job offering in the best city on the west coast.
9. What is the worst job you have ever had? Telemarketing